Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lentil Soup

This is an extremely easy, delicious and nutritious recipe. It goes well with a fresh muffin and a salad. 

1 lb. dried lentils

8 cups of cold water ( I use a cup of chicken stock, any left over vegetable liquid from steaming and the remainder water to make the 8 cups)

1 (16 oz. ) can tomatoes, chopped

4-5 slices of bacon ( I use a little left over chicken and omit the bacon)

1 medium onion, chopped

2 medium carrots, chopped

3 tsp parsley

2 tsp wine vinegar

1 garlic clove, minces ( i use bottled minced garlic 1 Tbs)

2 tsp salt ( I use a pinch)

1 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp pepper

1 large bay leaf

combine all ingredients in a dutch oven and simmer for 45 minutes..it's really that easy

Enjoy.......

4 comments:

Kate said...

do you need to soak the beans overnight first? or do they cook in 45 minutes?

BigMac55 said...

lentils do not need soaking..they cook in 45 minutes

Faith said...

Take it from me - this recipe is good. I wans't sure i would be a fan of lentils but its very filling and tasty : )

Kate said...

This is one of my FAVORITES!! I brought in a cup of it today for Gabrielle. She was very excited, she's never had lentils before. I'll let you know what she thinks.

~KT