Thursday, August 27, 2009

Trust or Fear?

That is the question of the day. Will we trust the Lord to do what He says He will do or let fear and unbelief keep us stranded in our own ways?

Proverbs 3:1-6 sets a stage for us to follow what He teaches us. If we follow him then he will make our paths straight.

1 My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, 2 for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. 3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:1-6

This whole set of verses is power packed but verse 5 really grabbed me today in relation to my lifestyle changes of incorporating healthy habits. Trust and acknowledge with all my heart and in all my ways. This gives me the impression that He is very interested in the daily choices that I make because He wants to "prolong my life and bring prosperity if I follow His teachings (vs 1).

Definitions:
Trust - 1. To have or place reliance; depend: "Trust in the Lord". "Trust to destiny". 2. To be confident; hope. To have or place confidence in; depend on. 3. To expect with assurance; assume

Acknowledge - 1.To admit the existence, reality, or truth of.
2. To recognize as being valid or having force or power.
Synonyms: admit, own, avow, confess, concede. These verbs mean to admit the reality or truth of something, often reluctantly. To acknowledge is to accept responsibility for something one makes known: "He acknowledged his mistake".


My scripture for today: Phillipians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

My prayer for today:
Father, Forgive my fearfulness and unbelief. Today I am choosing to depend on (trust) and (acknowledge) recognize your authority. I have confidence to leave my ways of the old lifestyle (and old fears) behind me and press on toward doing what is right and healthy for my physical body. You have laid out the goals before me. I acknowledge the many teachings you have given us on how we should live our lives and the ways we should follow. Teach me your ways, Lord, write them on my heart that I might press on toward the goal for the prize of your upward call and allow you to set my paths straight. Amen

2 comments:

BigMac55 said...

Proverbs gives such immediate feedback, very powerful and yet tiny, insignificant things throw us for a loop. We read the word of the Lord, apply it and then a hangnail happens and we throw things at the wall and curse.

"Now, what are we going to do?"

Well, the Lord has given us all good things and did not bring us here to fail, but He did not bring us here to trust in the provision either, but rather the Provider.

Trust Him in all things. He is mighty, He is able , He is willing to help us and give us all we need.
Don't let the small things steal the victory and sidetrack our witness.

Kate said...

Good Word!! And can us an immediate application. :)