Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nutrition: Striving for and Sustaining Healthy Habits

I found this great artice on sustaing healthy habits written by Gwen Stanley. One of the main points is to set a goal of being healthy and feeling good rather than focusing on the pounds lost. I really like that it calls out changing our mental status to achieve our goals.

Quote from article to wet your whistle.......
'A key component of the goal to feel good is that it is a very positive goal. There should be absolutely nothing negative about striving for and sustaining a state of feeling truly good and healthy. Yet the way almost everyone approaches making healthier choices is through a negative mental framework. The term, “I will cut down on my consumption of sweets and fried foods to lose some extra weight,” is far more common than the term, “I will purchase and consume more of my favorite fruits and vegetables, and walk or ride my bike every day.”'

The general concept is to mentally change the approach and consider what you will add to your healthy lifestyle rather than what you will "take away".
Make's sense doesn't it??!! Read the article in full at:
http://www.projectmana.org/node/3816

Let me know what you think!! :)

~M

0 comments: