Monday, November 2, 2009

Do this in remembrance of me

Yesterday was communion Sunday at Holden Chapel. I try to approach communion with a proper reverence and it seems that as I age, each opportunity to share at the Lord's table leads me deeper into an appreciation for what this common meal symbolizes.

I gazed at the other communicants in the sanctuary and processed the mystery of consuming a little of each of them and how that builds a stronger me. Each person who comes before God, searching for relationship with Him, brings something that we don't have, something that we can grow stronger from sharing.

I must admit that I am by nature drawn to certain people more than others, but the sharing at the Lord's table reminds us to look for the good in others, to desire it and to appreciate it. Much like manna we need to eat it fresh each day. We can't store it up. It goes bad. If we donn't eat enough we go hungry.

Come to the table friends and partake of the Lord's banquet. It's a rich and rewarding experience.

0 comments: